Things that are going well in first grade:
1. We are studying producers and consumers. To solidify the idea, we are producing Valentine's Day cards to be sold to all those willing consumers in the other first grade classes. We put together a consumer survey last week, analyzed the data, and are working hard this week to make the world's best glitter-encrusted SpongeBob Bratz cards (with stickers) that respond to our target customers' exact specifications. This has been sooooo much fun. All last week, the surveys would trickle in, and we would jump up and down with excitement while we tallied up the responses. Now, we are making cards, and that is even more fun.
2. We are studying friendly letters...and later, we'll be studying neighborhoods and maps. So, we arranged our room in straight streets (with one 'circle'), gave each a name and used wacky math patterns to decide on the numbers for each street ('cause, hey, this is New England). Now, we're writing friendly letters to each other and will learn to write the address on envelopes so they can be delivered around our 'town.' funfunfunfun Later, we'll make maps! Yay, maps!!
3. Four of us are concentrating very hard on following directions...earning stamps, Puck Bucks, and praise up the ying-yang (there's an image!). It's finally starting to feel like it's making a difference (knock on virtual wood!). I didn't say it. It's probably a fluke. Chaos will surely ensue shortly.
So, enjoy February. It's even got a vacation thrown in just for fun!
Report card season comes in March.
Much like mud.
Monday, February 04, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Maps, following directions!! you need GPS for first graders. I am thinking of building a Sunday School lesson on it. listen, follow the commandments, and if you mess up, it recalculates and gives you a new plan. It's kinda like redemption.
Sounds like February will be fun. and there is a vacation!!!!
That sounds like so much fun. Makes me wish I were teaching this semester! I'm sure I could incorporate streets and consumer surveys... somehow.
Go, Mom! Almost makes me wish I taught Sunday school...but I think that'd be violating that 'day of rest' thing.
They wrote postcards from "Fourteentown" (our made up name) to the class next door today. "Dear Travis, It is fun in Fourteentown. I wish you were in here! Your friend, Chuck"
Hee hee!
Post a Comment