So, basically, I'm a babbler.
I live in constant need of someone to cut me off.
I think this is one reason that teaching is such a good career for me. Someone is always there to interrupt. No train of thought is allowed to run on too long. A hand will be raised. Someone will have to go to the bathroom. I will stop talking.
Not so when I talk to grown ups.
I have to work on this babbling thing when I talk to grown ups.
I find myself rambling on, adding the details, embelishing the details...trailing off in a mumble. Some people stand for a moment, wondering if it's okay to start talking yet. Other people stare at me as I mumble myself out the door and into my car.
But I have to remind myself that very few of them go home and obsess over what that crazy teacher down the hall (namely, me) was mumbling about today. As far as I know, I am at a complete lack of wacky stalkers. So, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one sitting here wondering why I couldn't answer the question about teaching square numbers with one sentence.
One sentence, self! That's all that's required! Tops? Main idea, details, conclusion.
Verbally (and, heck, in writing, too) my paragraphs tend to go: main idea....details...hey, that detail is cool...minor details...quasi-related sub-details...boring, not related at all details...err...mumble...mumble...mumble.
Hence, the devoted readership! Ha!
Anyway. Regardless of my conversational ineptitude...I'm sure I'm the only one still worried about it. No one else goes home and parses my paragraphs. So really, I should let it go.
Tomorrow is a new day, with no bumbled conversations in it.
Monday, September 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh I wonder were you got your conversational style, surely not your mother who never makes a point without including a story or your dad who can take ten minutes to answer the question "what is a watt?"
Elementary, my dear Wat(t)son!
Oh, and the puns, too! Or legacy! It's inescapable!
And now I've forgotten what it was I came here to say.
Post a Comment